HowTo – Latrine

We only bring you this HowTo because it was requested by one of our viewers.  After getting the initial chuckle out of the request we got to thinking that this is one aspect of camping in the BWCACW that may not really get covered when explaining what to expect to a first time BWCAW camper.  We tried to have a little fun while making this episode, I hope we don’t offend anyone and that you find the humor in our shooting techniques.  Here’s HowTo use a latrine.

Download: Medium | Large HD

Tags: ,

About Bill

I grew up in Alaska spending as much time outdoors as possible. Camping, hunting, and flying consumed much of my free time. Upon moving to Minnesota I found the BWCAW to be a place that allowed me to escape to the wilderness. I love being able to share this amazing place with all of you. I hope you enjoy the shows.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

12 Responses to “HowTo – Latrine”

1. Barb Bryson January 2, 2010 at 2:56 am #

Well, what can I say….. I’m chuckling as I type this response. Enjoy the latest introduction. Nice change.

Keep those creative juices flowing!

2. Phil Frost January 2, 2010 at 11:06 am #

I like the way the camera (eyes) pans around during the heavy thinking part. I believe the sites/latrines are numbered for a given lake or stretch of river. The next site downriver should have had a #2 on the latrine. I think there is also a numbering system in place for every campsite in the BW, but I haven’t figured out it’s geographical/number relationship yet.

3. Bill January 2, 2010 at 4:51 pm #

@Phil Frost: Hi Phil, Thanks for taking the time to comment. We had some fun making this episode and were a bit hesitant in releasing it. ;) Thanks for the info on the numbering system. So if I understand you correctly each lake / stretch of river will have a latrine #1? I’ll see if I can get a hold of a wilderness ranger and get the scoop on how the campsites are numbered in the BW. If I do I’ll be sure to talk about it on a future episode or comment back in here. Thanks again for commenting.

Bill

4. Jean January 6, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

Phil is correct about the latrine numbers. Also, you forgot the hand sanitizer! But you captured the best part: the view. ;-)

5. Bill January 6, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

@Jean: Hi Jean, Thanks for commenting. We really enjoy hearing from those who watch our episodes. Thanks for confirming Phil’s information on the numbering systems on the latrines. We weren’t sure how that was set up. As for the hand sanitizer, you are correct. ;) I was thinking more about finishing up the episode and that step hadn’t really crossed my mind. I’ll be sure to add that in to a gear list when I do a “packing for a trip episode”. I hope your having a nice winter.

Bill

6. riverrat January 13, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

I gotta say I got a good laugh out of this one. All that you needed was a black bear to stroll up while you was in the thinking mode of filming to make things a little more interesting. It was great though!

7. Bill January 13, 2010 at 8:30 pm #

@riverrat: Hi Riverratkat, I’m sure glad a bear didn’t walk up in the middle of that shot. You would have seen a hasty retreat. :) Glad you enjoyed the episode.

Bill

8. Christopher January 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm #

I love the sideways lean and the looking around at the scenery. Classic!

This has got to be one of the best blog posts ever! Period.

9. Bill January 29, 2010 at 10:05 pm #

@Christopher: Hi Chris,

This sure has been a popular episode!! I’ve seen more commentary on forums about this episode compared to all others combined. My wife was horrified that I posted it. People seem to get a kick out of it. :)

Thanks for watching.

Bill

10. Voyageur North June 4, 2010 at 10:12 pm #

Glad you posted this one, good for a chuckle and showing that there are some great views from the latrine seat! :-)

I haven’t had a bear come & visit at one, but I did have a huge doe walk within a couple feet of me when “visiting” a latrine on Crab Lake. So close to me that I could see her long eyelashes!

Maybe I missed it, but what lake was this?

11. bapabear June 6, 2010 at 6:47 pm #

It’s about time somebody covered the nitty gritty issues of life in the BW wilderness! A moving experience. The camera “angles”, birds calling, difficulty getting the TP out of the bag are true to life. The warning about skeeters later on in the season was a nice touch but it’s hard to prepare anyone for that experience. This video was a proper example of leave no trace (It was a dry run, right?). The view from the site you were on is a true inspiration to anyone!

12. Woodduck June 11, 2010 at 3:25 pm #

Hey, are you walking around with your pants on your ankles? You didn’t pull your pants up. lol